Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Post-Flood Zone

Ever been in those situations where you are completely in the moment, caught up in what is happening, then when the sun sets and the day is done you think,
"That was exactly what I needed to do today.... And that was exactly the right place to be,"?

It has been like that in this post-flood cleanup these past few days. For example, today Sherri and I ran at the into Franklin in response to a church post giving the addresses of a few people calling for help. I felt we ended up being just where we needed to be. We ended up at at an older couple's home, and we worked a lot with the woman who was absolutely precious. I was humbled by her gentle spirit and her joyful smile.
My house was not damaged by the flood (which was a miracle considering I live in a valley and next to a creek), but meeting people like her makes me determined that if my house ever had damage like so many people are facing, I would need to be like her... still smiling and carrying on with life. It was evident she was tired, but that did not stop her from being positive. I learned something from Miss Elaine today.

I have also learned a lot from my grandparents and uncle through this... They are fighters. Their house got flooded close by Pinkerton Park, and a boat came to pick up my grandmother in the middle of the night during the flood. My grandfather wanted to stay at the house and as much as people tried to get him to leave, he insisted on staying in the attic with my uncle to stay away from the flood waters in the house. Helping them clean their house after the water left, I realized how much of survivors they are. A storm came their way and they rose to it. I am humbled by that in them and I have taken mental notes during the past few days. I love you, Nana, Paw Paw, and Tracy...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that you've read my thoughts, let me read yours!