Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dance And The Supermoon

Photography by Vince Wallace of Silver Hill Images. (www.silverhillimages.com)
Dancer: Lindsey Adare Fisher

Art and nature can work wonderfully well together. In this case, it was when the Perigee Moon was boasting it's full and large face across the night on March 18 & 19, and my friend Vince Wallace (photographer of Silver Hill Images) and I were working on an artistic collaboration. He wanted to capture the moon it its closeness to the earth while having a dancer leaping underneath its brilliance. What you can see below is what we came up with while the moon was rising. (The moon in this first one is obviously made bigger by photoshop.)










We had faced some challenges to make these happen... 1.) We were using a field with a no trespassing sign on it. (That was Vince's idea, not mine.) 2.) We didn't know exactly which direction the moon would rise, so he set up his cameras and lights by guesswork. 3.) Then when we were about to go, the portable battery for his lights blew! We had no lights... for a night photoshoot in an open field way out in the country... How was this going to work?! What happened next was a bit comical if one could see. I will post part of a note that Vince wrote so he can explain what happened in his words, since I'm not excellently good at explaining photography/tech stuff... (That's another reason I dance!)

"Pacing frantically back and forth, I came up with PLAN B.  I would use my Canon 580EX flash off-camera to light Lindsey. Brilliant!  Except that I had no remote trigger for the 580EX – so here’s how it would go down:  I would put the camera on 10 sec. self-timer.  Then I would fire the shutter, sprint 50 yards to Lindsey while she was counting down.  Fire the flash manually pointed directly at her at the split-second apex of her jump, and run back to check the image, make any mental adjustments to my flash position, fire the next shutter, and sprint another 50 yards to do it all again.... A half hour later, we were thanking God neither of us had twisted ankles or herniated discs, and that we’d had the privilege of doing something very few have done – dancing with the Perigree Super Moon."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that you've read my thoughts, let me read yours!