Sunday, December 27, 2009

Life, Bikes, and Bugs

"Life should be like a bike ride. Pedal as
hard as you can and feel the wind in your
hair, and ignore the bugs that hit you
along the way."


Those were the words that came into my head during a time that had was really rough. It was a time I was questioning everything--- where I was going and what my purpose in life was supposed to be. My future with dance was looking pretty slim at the time and everything in my world seemed to be closing. One night, I just jumped on my bike (not caring that I was wearing a long skirt) and took off down the street. I was stoked about riding all my frustration out in the night air.

What I realized quickly was that a bunch of bugs were out, which became dreadfully obvious when they kept hitting me in the face as I rushed by. It became plain annoying when they'd fly into my eyes. There was no way I wanted to cease my bike ride, however, and I wouldn't. I thought I'd be fine as long as my eyes were clear, so I thought of a solution. Trying to keep my eyes shielded, I rode back to the house and got my sunglasses for eye protection, and went on. So there I was, riding around my neighborhood after dark, in a skirt, with sunglasses on getting hit by bugs. (I must have looked like a character.) Then those words hit me, a regular Eureka moment. (Or not so regular.)

So what happens during bike rides truly can turn into life lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that you've read my thoughts, let me read yours!