Monday, January 11, 2010

Students



As dance instructors, we have a great opportunity to pour into lives of children and teens by teaching respect (for self and others), structure and discipline, and the importance of hard work, while opening up the mind for creativity and training the body to artistically express a powerful language: dance.

While I'm pretty tough on technique and encouraging students to push harder, my hopes is that my students won't just learn dance from me, but when they leave my class they take with them also a sense of responsibility, respect, confidence, determination, and joy that they can apply to the rest of their lives. Not all students will be professional dancers and not all want to, but they all are human beings with a need to be nurtured, because they will grow up to be adults. Then it's their turn to lead in whatever they do. My prayer is what they learn in my classes, whether they become pro dancers or not, will stay with them for a long time. I want them to be the best they can be as individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that you've read my thoughts, let me read yours!