Friday, April 15, 2011

Superhuman or Curse? Dealing With Sensory Processing Disorders

Ready to dive into a mystery of the brain and five senses? Below are a few questions to ask yourself. Do you know anyone experiencing these characteristics, including yourself?

-Feelings of being overwhelmed by the visual (such as flashing lights) or auditory stimuli? This
 overwhelmed feeling can be as dramatic as thoughts of sheer panic.
-Easily startled by loud noises, "shut down", or become very nervous in settings where loud music is      
 constant or loud talking is present?
-Extremely sensitive to textures or touch? (Do seams of socks bother you? Do some fabrics simply drive
 you crazy?)
-Trouble sleeping after being on the computer or watching TV?
-Unrelated to hormonal changes, are you hot or cold when others seem comfortable?
-Tolerance to Pain?
-Ability to smell something before others can?
-Incredibly in tune or seemingly unaware to bodily needs? (Such as, frankly, needing to urinate or    
 frequent hunger, or lack thereof?)
-Easily Distracted?
-Can't be still and need to always be moving?
-Been labeled as "unsocial" or misunderstood because you tend to withdraw socially?

If you answered yes to any of these, read on. You are not alone: it could be very well a Sensory Processing Disorder, a condition in which the brain does not organize signals from the senses into appropriate responses. This is why certain sounds, smells, visual stimuli (such as flashing lights), textures, etc. can range from unbearable to a mere annoyance. Sometimes persons with an SPD only experiences 1 of the 5 sensory effects, such as they only experience sensitivity to sound while all other senses are normal.  Sometimes the brain takes in information about the hazard of signals and misfires, which is why the person's "fight or flight" reaction can be heightened to unreasonable actions. This is why it can be easy to startle a person with an SPD by simply tapping them on the shoulder. Senses can either be hypersenstive or hyposensitive. Sensory Processing Disorders are most commonly diagnosed in children, but adults can also suffer with symptoms. Sometimes it is "hidden" and goes undetected, and labeled as "quirky" or, sadly, wrongly diagnosed. Yet when proper treatment has been given, these adults are completely functioning but they may occasionally feel the annoyances these symptoms can exude.

I am a functioning and "normal" adult, though I myself occasionally experience some hypersensitivity or hyposensitivity pertaining to the senses that causes some annoyance, rather than trauma or disability. While I haven't been diagnosed by doctors, as my symptoms are mild and not very dramatic, I know how the sensations from an SPD can cause feelings of insecurity. As a child, I frequently felt overwhelmed at parties or other areas where loud talking or loud music was present. As a teenager, I found myself emotionally shutting down after prolonged exposure to auditory stimuli. Also, my friends found my startled over-reaction and devastation entertaining if they hid behind doors and jumped out to scare me. (Comical, I'll admit.) People have also been surprised at my high tolerance to physical pain. In the end, I have learned to cope with these hyposensitivities and hypersensitivities. It is normal to me.
Learning to cope also meant learning the value of recharging in periodic isolation. Finding value in being quiet and still meant discovering the ability to be stronger in public. However, even today, if I'm exposed in really loud settings for a long period of time, I "zone out" or become increasingly nervous and have a hard time carrying on conversation. While it's a little quirky, I know I'm not socially awkward.  It's just my nerves have become overloaded and it's time to take a rest to recharge the "emotional batteries".

If you or someone you know has an SPD, there is value in finding comfort in occasional peaceful solitude. You need it to recharge, and don't let others condemn you for being "unsocial". Even Jesus Himself sought solitude. "... and great crowds gathered to hear him and to be healed of their infirmities. But he would withdraw to desolate places and pray." Luke 5:15-16 

Just don't stay in solitude for too long. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now that you've read my thoughts, let me read yours!